Sunday 7 August 2011

Field Day 2011

The Field day extravaganza began with a little unexpected surprise when I was standing and thought that I had spotted Jose Gonzalez. I took a few snaps of him and went to debate the issue with friends and they assured me that Jose Gonzalez had no need to be at Field Day 2011. The first time I took photos for him was at Falls Festival 2007 Lorne, Australia and had spotted his along polished nails which in no way shape or form could take my mind away from his incredible voice and how humble he was on stage. Moving on an hour or two yesterday and we crossed paths again this time with me yet again spotting those polished nails. As it turns out he had preformed earlier with his band Junip and I have spent the whole morning reading and listening to their music and can honestly say I am so gutted that I completely missed them.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Junip the three piece of sheer genius, is the collaboration and dedication of Elias Araya (drums), José González (vocals & guitar) - naturally and Tobias Winterkorn (organ & synth). It seems that Junip has always been a dream for the band members with life somehow playing around and mucking about with them, not to mention the success of González's album Veneer that most held the band back in pursuing this dream any earlier.  I am in no way a music expert and there is so much that I have yet to learn and know about in music but I do know that Fields is one album to listen to and I am quite frustrated that I only discovered it like ummm 24 hours ago!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The first time I saw SBTRKT was this year at Coachella Festival and I must say he smashed it both times! But the first time I saw him it was about 32 degrees, sunny, 2 PM in a tent where about 100 people were raving and jumping about to his amazing beats. I must say I have been listening to his new album SBTRKT religiously and I love every tune. Yesterday was a completely different story, with thousands of people anticipating his music squeezing in a tent while others that couldn't fit in were standing outside of the tent hoping it doesn't bucket down with rain. Half way through his set it started to rain, people from outside of the tent began to push in, we started to get pretty squashed till ever so slowly my feet began to move upwards and rise and I pretty much was being moved by the crowds side ways, frontwards, backwards while the whole time I was looking at my friends hoping this was not really happening! Then I got pulled and tugged back to base and loved every single minute of his set.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
I was at home a few months ago listening to my favourite radio show BPM breakfast show on NTS radio and they played an amazing song by Omar Souleyman. It was quite a surreal moment for me being at a festival in London listening to music in Arabic where I can understand every single word. It is not the kind of music the majority of youngsters listen to in the Arabic world and his work is very traditional Middle Eastern sung in Arabic and Kurdish but somehow this Syrian musician has been able to steel the hearts of many music fans around the world and some pay the thanks to American label Sublime Frequencies for introducing him to us. 
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
 I am not sure if it is some sort of trend that is surfacing and I am totally unaware that it's happening but my idea of a festival is a place where you can enjoy music, meet people, dance, jump around and be very silly. I saw many girls (including a few celebrities) wearing high heels at Coachella Festival 2001 and I was taken back a bit. That happened again at Field Day 2011 with high heels at full swing from massive wedges to stilettos, to chunky heels and it got me thinking, am I missing something or is it time for us to move forward and pull out heels for stomping? Might stick for a very long time to my way of flats for a good time at a festival. 
Photobucket
Photobucket
I wore Anna Sui jeans, topshop shirt, belt that I keep on borrowing from my wonderful flatmate, vintage brown leather shoes and United Bamboo sunglasses
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment