Thursday 8 September 2011

Object Abuse

Photobucket
In a totally unplanned manner, it seems that I continue on the same topic I posted yesterday on Kaori Kato's transforming objects into ideas that make you ponder about the world around us. When I went to  Object Abuse it got me thinking of the amount of times I have used a brush, broom or a peg but have never thought of transforming or changing these everyday items into something totally new. Hence the challenge I am facing now with everyday objects around me as I try to think of ways to change them into something new and most of the time I have been finding it dead hard!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The aim of Object Abuse is to create a collection of re-imagined objects which highlight not only how everyday items can be recycled into something new but also how we think differently when we work with our hands and how physical interaction creates new ideas over and above working through concepts on screen. The idea of remoulding, rebuilding and reconstructing objects appeals to me as it reminds me very much of my childhood. As a child I used to save my lunch money and go to the markets and buy as many things as I could with the money I had. I would also collect anything else I found on my journey to and from the markets. I would go into the kitchen and pour spices into things I bought, wrap and cut fabric and decorate my room with it. The sense of looking at objects in a different way is quite inspiring as it makes you question your own creative capacity of thinking beyond the bubble we sometimes trap ourselves in. It is this reason why I find Object Abuse quite interesting as it gives you insight to how people think their minds, hand and allows you to see their perception of the world around us. 
Photobucket
33 artists and designers worked their hands to change objects into a new item that you can view throughout September at KK Outlet and it is part of London Design Festival and the ICON Design Guide and all the proceeds going to St Monica’s of Hackney Primary School Art Department. 
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment